Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Library Loot

Hosted by Eva at A Stripped Armchair, and alternate weeks by Marge at Reading Adventures

Library books recently read:


102.The Last Woman**** by John Bemrose Canada (323 pages)

103.The White Garden**** by Stephanie Barron US (326 pages)

104.Invisible**** by Paul Auster US (308 pages)


New loot:


The Museum of Innocence by Orhan Pamuk

Hardcover 560 pages

Knopf (October 20, 2009)
ISBN-10: 0307266761
ISBN-13: 978-0307266767

From the Publisher:


"A sweeping, emotionally charged novel of the nature of romantic attachment and the strange allure of collecting- this is
Orhan Pamuk’s greatest achievement. It is Istanbul in 1975. Kemal is a rich and engaged man when he by chance encounters a long-lost relation, Fusun, a young shopgirl whose beauty stirs all the passion denied him in a society where sex outside marriage is taboo. Fusun ends their liaison when she learns of Kemal’s engagement. But Kemal cannot forget her: for nine years he tries to change her mind, meanwhile stealing from her an odd assortment of personal items, which he collects and cherishes- a “museum of innocence” that he puts on display to tell the heartbreaking story of a love that shaped a life."

This is Orhan Pamuk's first novel since being awarded the Nobel Prize in 2006. I have read Snow and enjoyed it very much. And I've recently acquired a copy of My Name is Red, which won the 2003 IMPAC Dublin Literary Award.



Eye of the Whale by Douglas Carlton Abrams 2009 US (365 pages)


An ecological thriller
using fact-based research on humpback whales and their songs.









B
lackmoor by Edward Hogan UK 2008 (272 pages)

A debut novel that was shortlisted for the Dylan Thomas Prize in 2008.






Currently reading from the library:


Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver US 2009 (507 pages)


My first by this author who comes highly recommended. I own copies of The Poisonwood Bible and Pigs in Heaven. I'm really enjoying Lacuna so far and am glad I finally got around to this author.


What did you pick up at the library this week that's got you excited?

All comments, questions, opinions, reading recommendations, or links to reviews are welcomed. I'd love to read
them. No Spoilers though please.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see you back on here! I can't wait to see your full review of The Lacuna because I love Kingsolver's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your health is improving...I've missed you and your posts!! I can't wait for your thoughts on Kingsolver's newest novel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Poisonwood Bible and need to check out her other books. Great loot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm interested to read the Pahmuk and the Kingsolver books. Can't wait to read your reviews. :-)
    and thank you for your very nice comments today. So glad to see you posting and out and about on the blogs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. #102 reminds me that I still haven't read The Island Walkers.

    Good to see you on-line again and by the looks of those stars, you have been enjoying a few books in your absence. Take care Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely to see you back, and with a great selection of library books.

    I only know Blackmoor and can happily recommend it. I believe it did win one of the lesser known British literary prizes, but I'm afraid the name escapes me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also just recently purchased "My Name is Red" and hope to read it soon. It's meant to be my tie-breaker Pamuk: I quite disliked "The Black Book" but quite liked "Snow". I suspect even if I dislike "My Name is Red", I'll still seek out "The Museum of Innocence" and his other works, but it'll be nice to understand Pamuk's writing style a little better...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pamuk is an author I keep meaning to read. I'll also look forward to your thoughts on the new Kingsolver.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been curious about Pamuk for some time now. I listened to New Yorker podcast a couple months ago where he read and discussed a short story by Nabokov. He sounds brilliant :) Museum of Innocence sounds interesting. Thanks for the post! :)

    ReplyDelete

Labels

"25 Books That Caused A Commotion" (1) 4 1/2 stars (5) 4 stars (6) 5 stars (8) American literature (21) Asian American authors (1) Australian literature (3) book awards (10) book giveaways (23) book news (4) booking through thursday (3) Books Read This Week (2) Books TBR in 2009 (1) Burma (1) Cambodia (2) Canada (11) Canadian lit (3) Canadian literature (11) Columbian literature (1) Cover Attraction (3) doctors (1) education (1) elephants (1) England (3) English literature (5) environment (1) epistolary fiction (4) Ex-Cottagers in Love (1) family (3) fiction (2) five stars (2) forewords (1) four and a half stars (1) four stars (1) French literature (3) Friday Finds (6) Giller Prize (2) Giller Prize longlist (1) Giller Prize Winner 2008 (1) guest reviews (10) Hachette (2) haiku (4) Haiku Friday (5) historical fiction (6) humour (1) immigrants (1) Index of Books Reviewed (1) interview (1) Iraq (1) Israel (2) Israeli literature (1) It's Monday What are you reading this week? (2) Italian literature (1) Italy (1) Jerusalem (1) Jewish Book Month (3) Jewish Literature (6) Jewish Literature Challenge (2) Judaism (1) Latin American literature (1) Latin American Reading Challenge (1) library books (1) Library Loot (28) Library Loot July 22 (1) literary fiction (38) literature (20) literature in translation (1) love stories (2) Mailbox Monday (19) male friendship (1) marriage (1) medicine (1) memoir (1) music (1) Musing Mondays (2) My Favourite Reads (1) my work (1) mystery (1) Native Canadians (1) New Crayons (6) New Crayons July 5 (1) New England (1) New York (1) Nigeria (1) Nigerian literature (1) Nobel author (3) Nobel authors (1) Nobel Laureate (1) non-fiction (1) Norway (1) Norwegian literature (1) Nova Scotia (1) Orange Prize (2) ornithology (1) Orthodox Judaism (1) psychological fiction (3) Pulitzer Project (1) rating system (1) Read 'Em Yet? Wednesday (1) Read in 2008 (1) reading challenges (62) reading challenges 2010 (1) reviews (46) Russia (1) Russian literature (1) Salon Sunday (1) Scandinavian mystery (1) short stories (2) Show Me 5 Saturday (2) Spanish literature (2) Sunday Salon (3) The Complete Booker Reading Challenge (1) The Martel-Harper Challenge (1) The Sunday Salon (12) Thursday Tea (4) Toronto (1) translation (2) triplets (1) TSS (2) TSS June in Review (1) TSS March in Review (1) TSS May in Review (1) TSS Week in Review (2) Turkish literature (2) Venice (1) Waiting on Wednesday (8) Waiting on Wednesday July 15 (1) war stories (2) Weekly Geeks (11) What Are You Reading On Mondays? (10) What's On Your Nightstand? (8) winners (14) women writers (2) Wondrous Words (1) Wordless Wednesday (3) writers (1) WW II (2) Wyoming (1)
free logo design

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin