Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday Jan 2013


Hosted by Jamie at The Broke and the Bookish.

Top Ten Bookish Goals For 2013 (Jan.8)

1.Read more of my own books from my personal library.

2.Update my LibraryThing and Goodreads accounts.

3.Sort and shelve the 400 books I've Bookmooched and traded.

4.Read the books I've resolved to instead of going by mood as I usually do. To wit:

5.Top Ten Books I Resolve To Read In 2013:

  1. The Bathing Women by Tie Ning (China) Man Asian Award longlist 2013
  2. The Painted Girls by Catharine Marie Buchanan (Canada) Jan.10 release
  3. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Nigeria) Feb. 19 release
  4. And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini (Afghanistan/US) May 10 release
  5. To Kill a MockingBird by Harper Lee (US)
  6. The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan (US)
  7. The Wandering Falcon by Jamil Ahmad (Pakistan)
  8. The Cook by Wyne Macauly (AUS)
  9. See Now Then by Jamaica Kincaid (Antigua/US) Feb. 5 release
10. So Long A Letter - Mariama Ba (Senegal)

6.Translation Challenge:

  1.Red Sorghum by Mo Yan (China)
  2.The Bathing Women Tie Ning (China)
  3.So Long a Letter by Mariama Ba (Senegal)
  4.Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (Russia)
  5.Kokoro by Natsume Soseki (Japan)
  6.Fatelessness by Imre Kertesz (Hungary)
  7.Raised from the Ground by Jose Saramago (Portugal)
  8.Climates by  André Maurois (France)
  9.The Elephant Keepers' Children by Peter Høeg (Denmark)
  10.Hostage by Elie Wiesel (France)
  12.The Secret History of Costaguana by Juan Gabriel Va´squez (Columbia)
  13.From the Mouth of the Whale by Sjon (Iceland)

7.Tbr Challenge:

  1.Plum Wine by Angela Davis-Gardner (US)
  2.So Long A Letter by Mariama Ba (Senegal)
  3.Paradise by Toni Morrison (US)
  4.To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (US)
  5.The Red and the Green by Iris Murdoch (UK)
  6.Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Nigeria)
  7.Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (Russia)
  8.Sarah Thornhill by Kate Grenville (Australia)
  9.The Wandering Falcon by Jamil Ahmad (Pakistan)
11.Jazz by Toni Morrison (US)
12.The Fable by William Faulkner (US)

8.Update my blog, layout etc.

9.Try to post at least once a week. Posting has become difficult for me and I've just been tweeting my reading recommendations for several months now. 

10.Keep all literary book awards up to date. I currently follow about 15 and find most of my best reading experiences there, as well as books I wouldn't otherwise hear about. The heading at the top under Awards is linked to a page that list them all.


Which of your bookish goals is important to you?

7 comments:

  1. I'm also doing a translation challenge so I hope you will find the time to blog some reviews. I used to love Peter Hoeg - I think I read his first 5 books but he hasn't crossed my radar for ages, but I'll check that out.

    Good luck with your goals. Here are mine:
    http://annabelsmith.tumblr.com/post/39982227770/top-10-tuesday-bookish-goals-for-2013

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your 2013 list! I want to read all the new releases you mention and some of the others were fantastic reads - especially The Cook and The Wandering Falcon. I look forward to seeing what you make of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearing from you once a week, or whenever you can manage to post, would be great! Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you got cool challenges! I love you list of goals. Good luck! Hope you achieve all of them :D

    My Bookish/Blogging Goals

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I've been eyeing The Painted Girls for some time, I hope to get around to it sometime this year. And I hope you enjoy Crime and Punishment, it's an intriguing and thought-provoking read. Best of luck with your goals this 2013, it'll be an awesome one =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great suggestions for translated challenge. I signed up for it on a whim and now looking for some titles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound like terrific goals. I've signed up for two challenges. And I have a ton of stuff that I'd like to do on my blog, but I have to learn the html for them first :)

    ReplyDelete

Labels

"25 Books That Caused A Commotion" (1) 4 1/2 stars (5) 4 stars (6) 5 stars (8) American literature (21) Asian American authors (1) Australian literature (3) book awards (10) book giveaways (23) book news (4) booking through thursday (3) Books Read This Week (2) Books TBR in 2009 (1) Burma (1) Cambodia (2) Canada (11) Canadian lit (3) Canadian literature (11) Columbian literature (1) Cover Attraction (3) doctors (1) education (1) elephants (1) England (3) English literature (5) environment (1) epistolary fiction (4) Ex-Cottagers in Love (1) family (3) fiction (2) five stars (2) forewords (1) four and a half stars (1) four stars (1) French literature (3) Friday Finds (6) Giller Prize (2) Giller Prize longlist (1) Giller Prize Winner 2008 (1) guest reviews (10) Hachette (2) haiku (4) Haiku Friday (5) historical fiction (6) humour (1) immigrants (1) Index of Books Reviewed (1) interview (1) Iraq (1) Israel (2) Israeli literature (1) It's Monday What are you reading this week? (2) Italian literature (1) Italy (1) Jerusalem (1) Jewish Book Month (3) Jewish Literature (6) Jewish Literature Challenge (2) Judaism (1) Latin American literature (1) Latin American Reading Challenge (1) library books (1) Library Loot (28) Library Loot July 22 (1) literary fiction (38) literature (20) literature in translation (1) love stories (2) Mailbox Monday (19) male friendship (1) marriage (1) medicine (1) memoir (1) music (1) Musing Mondays (2) My Favourite Reads (1) my work (1) mystery (1) Native Canadians (1) New Crayons (6) New Crayons July 5 (1) New England (1) New York (1) Nigeria (1) Nigerian literature (1) Nobel author (3) Nobel authors (1) Nobel Laureate (1) non-fiction (1) Norway (1) Norwegian literature (1) Nova Scotia (1) Orange Prize (2) ornithology (1) Orthodox Judaism (1) psychological fiction (3) Pulitzer Project (1) rating system (1) Read 'Em Yet? Wednesday (1) Read in 2008 (1) reading challenges (62) reading challenges 2010 (1) reviews (46) Russia (1) Russian literature (1) Salon Sunday (1) Scandinavian mystery (1) short stories (2) Show Me 5 Saturday (2) Spanish literature (2) Sunday Salon (3) The Complete Booker Reading Challenge (1) The Martel-Harper Challenge (1) The Sunday Salon (12) Thursday Tea (4) Toronto (1) translation (2) triplets (1) TSS (2) TSS June in Review (1) TSS March in Review (1) TSS May in Review (1) TSS Week in Review (2) Turkish literature (2) Venice (1) Waiting on Wednesday (8) Waiting on Wednesday July 15 (1) war stories (2) Weekly Geeks (11) What Are You Reading On Mondays? (10) What's On Your Nightstand? (8) winners (14) women writers (2) Wondrous Words (1) Wordless Wednesday (3) writers (1) WW II (2) Wyoming (1)
free logo design

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin