Saturday, June 20, 2009

Spring Reading Thing 2009 Wrap up

Hosted by Katrina at Callapidder Days.

March 20 - June 20, 2009

My goal was to read 40 of these books from my tbr list. Completed books are highlighted or linked to reviews.

The Brightest Moon of the Century**** by Christopher Meeks
A Mad Desire to Dance***** by Elie Wiesel
The Piano Teacher by Janice Y. Lee
The Sum of Our Days**** by Isabel Allende
The Jewel Trader of Pegu by Jeffrey Hantover
Now You See Him**** by Eli Gottlieb
The Great Lover**** by Jill Dawson
Ulysses by James Joyce (half way -274 pages)
The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker
Little Bee**** by Chris Cleave
Reading Lolita**** in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
Good to a Fault by Marania Endicott
The Interrogation***+ by J.M.G.Le Clezio
Shelter Me***+ by Juliette Faye
Breaking Lorca by Giles Blunt
The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill
Asta in the Wings**** by Jan Elizabeth Watson
Still Alice by Lisa Genova
The Household Guide to Dying
The Land of Marvels by Barry Unsworth
Tightrope by Michael Karpan
The Cradle**** by Patrick Somerville
The Fat Lady Next Door is Pregnant*** by Michel Tremblay
The Disappeared***** by Kim Echlin
An Audience of Chairs***** by Joan Clark
This One and Magic Life**** by Anne Carroll George
The Winner of Sorrow by Brian Lynch
Mind's Eye**** by Hakan Nesser mystery
The Madwoman of Bethlehem***** by Rosine Nimeh-Mailloux
The Spare Room**** by Helen Garner
Love in the Time of Cholera**** by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
A Thousand Rooms of Dream and Fear by Atiq Rahimi
Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden
West With the Night by Beryl Markham
North River by Peter Hamill
East of the Mountains by David Guterson
Going Down South by Bonnie Glover
Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh
The Age of Orphans by Laleh Khadivi
The Lieutenant***** by Kate Grenville
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button***+ by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Snow Geese**** by William Fiennes non fiction
Possession***** by A. S. Byatt
The Prospector***** by J.M.G. Le Clezio
The Accordionist's Son**** by BernardoAtxaga
Carpentaria**** by Alexis Wright
The Italian Girl**** by Iris Murdoch
Wanting***** by Richard Flanagan
Swann's Way by Marcel Proust
Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann (started)
Winter Journey by Eva Figes
Ravens in Winter by Bernd Heinrich
Silent Spring by Rachel Carson
Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima
Summer by Edith Wharton
The Solitary Summer by Elizabeth von Arnim
The Summer Before Dark by Doris Lessing
Indian Summer by Willian Dean Howells
Autumn of the Patriarch by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Elizabeth and Her German Garden by Elizabeth Von Arnem
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
The White Bone by Barbara Gowdy
The Blue Flower by Penelope Fitzgerald
My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk
The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing
The Silver Swan by Benjamin Black
The Red and the Green by Iris Murdoch
Blood Orange by Drusilla Campbell
Yellowknife by Steve Zipp
.
Books abandoned:
.
2666 by Roberto Bolano after160 pages
Sleepwalking in Daylight by Elizabeth Flock after 50 pages
City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers after 40 pages
.
Unplanned at the start of the challenge:
.
The Music Teacher***+ by Barbara Hall
Hard Rain**** by Janwillem Van de Wetering mystery
Last Night in Montreal****+ by Emily St. John Mandel
I Had a Black Dog***** by Matthew Johnstone non fiction
.
Books read: 35.5/40
.
I'm happy with what I did because I am a mood reader, sticking closely to a list is not my forte. How did you do this spring? Did you find any four or five star reads in literary fiction? I'd love to hear about them or read your reviews if you leave a link.
.
Feel free to ask about any of these books.

19 comments:

  1. Good luck. I'm not even going to try this time since I bombed on the fall challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have had more luck than I have in finding books for the seasons challenge. Great list and happy spring reading:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some great books on your list! I have a feeling you're going to make my list even longer! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a big list! I haven't read any of it either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A huge and great list! I love the seasonal theme running through. I've added Now You See Him and The Little Giant of Aberdeen County to my TBR list... I'd love to hear how you like them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is a really ambitious list with some great titles. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an incredible list. I look forward to reading your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    My name is Aaron Embry
    I thought you might be interested in seeing Yukio Mishima's film
    "Yukoku-the Rite of Love and Death"
    with the original score I wrote.
    (if you have any time after reading allLOVEthose books!)

    Watch the film here:

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9201439452997071422

    Share your thought in the comments !

    Thanks,
    Aaron Embry

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great and impressive list!

    I finished A Mad Desire to Dance. Elie Wiesel never disappoints me.

    I'm almost finished reading Wandering Stars, by Sholem Aleichem...a great read so far.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa! That's some kind of list!!! I commit to less than I know I'll read (I'm a wimp)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The only books I have really heard of before are the old classics on your list. I have meaning to reread Jane Eyre. For some reason I am finding it harder this time around. I find myself wanting an English teacher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great list! lot's of books I'm curious about so I shall definitely be watching!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - 40 books! I'm very impressed. I'll be thrilled if I get through the 14 on my list. :) Thanks for being part of Spring Reading Thing '09!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved Jane Eyre. I hope you have fun reading this Spring. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, the Bronte sisters! Jane Eyre is probably one of my all time favorite books! You have got quite the list and I think the Brontes are the only ones I recognize. :)

    Blessings,
    Mimi B
    Woven by Words

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you've done a great job on this one. I'm a mood reader too!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job! You got a lot of reading in this spring! Thanks again for being part of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic job on the challenge. Hope you get to Jane Eyre.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow -- great job on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Labels

"25 Books That Caused A Commotion" (1) 4 1/2 stars (5) 4 stars (6) 5 stars (8) American literature (21) Asian American authors (1) Australian literature (3) book awards (10) book giveaways (23) book news (4) booking through thursday (3) Books Read This Week (2) Books TBR in 2009 (1) Burma (1) Cambodia (2) Canada (11) Canadian lit (3) Canadian literature (11) Columbian literature (1) Cover Attraction (3) doctors (1) education (1) elephants (1) England (3) English literature (5) environment (1) epistolary fiction (4) Ex-Cottagers in Love (1) family (3) fiction (2) five stars (2) forewords (1) four and a half stars (1) four stars (1) French literature (3) Friday Finds (6) Giller Prize (2) Giller Prize longlist (1) Giller Prize Winner 2008 (1) guest reviews (10) Hachette (2) haiku (4) Haiku Friday (5) historical fiction (6) humour (1) immigrants (1) Index of Books Reviewed (1) interview (1) Iraq (1) Israel (2) Israeli literature (1) It's Monday What are you reading this week? (2) Italian literature (1) Italy (1) Jerusalem (1) Jewish Book Month (3) Jewish Literature (6) Jewish Literature Challenge (2) Judaism (1) Latin American literature (1) Latin American Reading Challenge (1) library books (1) Library Loot (28) Library Loot July 22 (1) literary fiction (38) literature (20) literature in translation (1) love stories (2) Mailbox Monday (19) male friendship (1) marriage (1) medicine (1) memoir (1) music (1) Musing Mondays (2) My Favourite Reads (1) my work (1) mystery (1) Native Canadians (1) New Crayons (6) New Crayons July 5 (1) New England (1) New York (1) Nigeria (1) Nigerian literature (1) Nobel author (3) Nobel authors (1) Nobel Laureate (1) non-fiction (1) Norway (1) Norwegian literature (1) Nova Scotia (1) Orange Prize (2) ornithology (1) Orthodox Judaism (1) psychological fiction (3) Pulitzer Project (1) rating system (1) Read 'Em Yet? Wednesday (1) Read in 2008 (1) reading challenges (62) reading challenges 2010 (1) reviews (46) Russia (1) Russian literature (1) Salon Sunday (1) Scandinavian mystery (1) short stories (2) Show Me 5 Saturday (2) Spanish literature (2) Sunday Salon (3) The Complete Booker Reading Challenge (1) The Martel-Harper Challenge (1) The Sunday Salon (12) Thursday Tea (4) Toronto (1) translation (2) triplets (1) TSS (2) TSS June in Review (1) TSS March in Review (1) TSS May in Review (1) TSS Week in Review (2) Turkish literature (2) Venice (1) Waiting on Wednesday (8) Waiting on Wednesday July 15 (1) war stories (2) Weekly Geeks (11) What Are You Reading On Mondays? (10) What's On Your Nightstand? (8) winners (14) women writers (2) Wondrous Words (1) Wordless Wednesday (3) writers (1) WW II (2) Wyoming (1)
free logo design

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin