Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Forewords - The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Hardcover: 544 pages
Publisher: Doubleday (June 16, 2009)
ISBN-10: 0385528701
ISBN-13: 978-0385528702

Publishers Weekly:


In 1920s Barcelona, David Martin is born into poverty, but, aided by patron and friend Pedro Vidal, he rises to become a crime reporter and then a beloved pulp novelist. David's creative pace is frenetic; holed up in his dream house—a decrepit mansion with a sinister history—he produces two great novels, one for Vidal to claim as his own, and one for himself. But Vidal's book is celebrated while David's is buried, and when Vidal marries David's great love, David accepts a commission to write a story that leads him into danger. As he explores the past and his mysterious publisher, David becomes a suspect in a string of murders, and his race to uncover the truth is a delicious puzzle: is he beset by demons or a demon himself? Zafón's novel is detailed and vivid, and David's narration is charming and funny, but suspect. Villain or victim, he is the hero of and the guide to this dark labyrinth that, by masterful design, remains thrilling and bewildering.


Forewords:


The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon has just arrived. I have not read this author. I understand that the events in this story are a "gothic semiprequel" to the popular The Shadow of the Wind. So it appears that there is no loss by reading this one first. Reviews for both books have been mixed, although I have not read them in detail as I prefer everything in my stories to be a surprise. This is not the sort of book I would usually buy or even borrow from the library. It's not a straightforward mystery which would be a light read for me. It suggests adventure and intrigue, not my first choice either. But it was the best literary fiction that was offered to LibraryThing Early Reviewers in Canada last month. And the selection of ARCs available to reviewers in Canada this month is so dismal that I did not bother to try for one, but that is another story.


So I have to confess that I am reading The Angel's Game basically by default. I must say that Doubleday has sent me a true hardcover copy, a beautiful edition, not an ARC. The entire cover is imprinted with library shelves full of older books and it has a partial paper jacket over that, a nice one too. A lovely gift edition. The plus side for me is that the story is set in Spain, Barcelona to be exact. And it's literary fiction in translation, by an award-winning author. That and the preceding PW review are all I know about it. So I will give it my full attention, without expectations. Watch for my upcoming Afterwords (aka a review) about the book.


Have you read The Shadow of the Wind? Did you enjoy it? Any plans to read The Angel's Game or are you waiting for the reviews first? If you've read anything else by Zafon, can you recommend it?

Comments, questions, reading recommendations or links to reviews are always welcomed. I'd love to read them. No Spoilers please.

6 comments:

  1. I still have The Shadow in the Wind in my collection to be read. I have put it off so many times. I have heard good reviews and bad about it, but I think it is the size that actually puts me off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much enjoyed Shadow of the Wind and would love to read this; no need to read any reviews at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be interested to hear what someone thinks who wasn't 100% sold on this before picking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shadow of the wind was one of the best books I have ever read, this one was good, not as good. But I still loved it and was swept away by his words

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any books by this author, but maybe it is time to start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed The Shadow of the Wind and have been looking forward to this new one. I think I'll probably even splurge on the hardcover. Actually I've been debating whether to get the US cover like you have or the UK cover. The US one does sound very nice. I look forward to hearing what you think of the book.

    ReplyDelete

Labels

"25 Books That Caused A Commotion" (1) 4 1/2 stars (5) 4 stars (6) 5 stars (8) American literature (21) Asian American authors (1) Australian literature (3) book awards (10) book giveaways (23) book news (4) booking through thursday (3) Books Read This Week (2) Books TBR in 2009 (1) Burma (1) Cambodia (2) Canada (11) Canadian lit (3) Canadian literature (11) Columbian literature (1) Cover Attraction (3) doctors (1) education (1) elephants (1) England (3) English literature (5) environment (1) epistolary fiction (4) Ex-Cottagers in Love (1) family (3) fiction (2) five stars (2) forewords (1) four and a half stars (1) four stars (1) French literature (3) Friday Finds (6) Giller Prize (2) Giller Prize longlist (1) Giller Prize Winner 2008 (1) guest reviews (10) Hachette (2) haiku (4) Haiku Friday (5) historical fiction (6) humour (1) immigrants (1) Index of Books Reviewed (1) interview (1) Iraq (1) Israel (2) Israeli literature (1) It's Monday What are you reading this week? (2) Italian literature (1) Italy (1) Jerusalem (1) Jewish Book Month (3) Jewish Literature (6) Jewish Literature Challenge (2) Judaism (1) Latin American literature (1) Latin American Reading Challenge (1) library books (1) Library Loot (28) Library Loot July 22 (1) literary fiction (38) literature (20) literature in translation (1) love stories (2) Mailbox Monday (19) male friendship (1) marriage (1) medicine (1) memoir (1) music (1) Musing Mondays (2) My Favourite Reads (1) my work (1) mystery (1) Native Canadians (1) New Crayons (6) New Crayons July 5 (1) New England (1) New York (1) Nigeria (1) Nigerian literature (1) Nobel author (3) Nobel authors (1) Nobel Laureate (1) non-fiction (1) Norway (1) Norwegian literature (1) Nova Scotia (1) Orange Prize (2) ornithology (1) Orthodox Judaism (1) psychological fiction (3) Pulitzer Project (1) rating system (1) Read 'Em Yet? Wednesday (1) Read in 2008 (1) reading challenges (62) reading challenges 2010 (1) reviews (46) Russia (1) Russian literature (1) Salon Sunday (1) Scandinavian mystery (1) short stories (2) Show Me 5 Saturday (2) Spanish literature (2) Sunday Salon (3) The Complete Booker Reading Challenge (1) The Martel-Harper Challenge (1) The Sunday Salon (12) Thursday Tea (4) Toronto (1) translation (2) triplets (1) TSS (2) TSS June in Review (1) TSS March in Review (1) TSS May in Review (1) TSS Week in Review (2) Turkish literature (2) Venice (1) Waiting on Wednesday (8) Waiting on Wednesday July 15 (1) war stories (2) Weekly Geeks (11) What Are You Reading On Mondays? (10) What's On Your Nightstand? (8) winners (14) women writers (2) Wondrous Words (1) Wordless Wednesday (3) writers (1) WW II (2) Wyoming (1)
free logo design

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin